Visitors who view the huge expanse of water that is Cardinia Reservoir by the morning light will understand why this is one of Melbourne's most popular outdoor destinations. The open parklands, picnic and barbecue areas, and native bush areas that are home to abundant wildlife and natural flora are a draw card to those seeking a day in a natural setting.
Things to see and do
- Have a picnic among the trees
- Watch the eastern grey kangaroos feeding at dawn or dusk, or basking in the sun along the kangaroo viewing trail
- Enjoy panoramic views of the park from the many lookouts and vantage points
- Walk across the dam wall and through 8 kilometres of linked trails throughout the park
- Play on the playground at Crystal Brook Picnic Area
All picnic areas have access and toilets for visitors with limited mobility. Most have barbecues and shelter. Popular spots include Crystal Brook, Duffy's and Kangaroo Flat.
Looking after the park
- Dogs are allowed at Crystal Brook and Duffy's but must be kept on a leash at all times
- Portable gas barbecues are allowed, but portable barbecues using heat beads or wood are not permitted in the park.
Before you go
Conditions can change in parks for many reasons. For the latest information on changes to local conditions, please visit the relevant park page on the Parks Victoria website.
Be bushfire ready in the great outdoors. Refer to the Bushfire Safety section on the Parks Victoria website for tips on how to stay safe.Visit Website
Picnic Area, Public Toilet, Sheltered Area
Flora/Fauna, Nature based, Wildlife