Set on two and a half acres amongst peaceful, leafy surroundings, Henry Kendall Cottage was the home, for a time, of pioneer poet Henry Kendall. One room contains some of the poet's possessions, while the remaining rooms are furnished as an old cottage.
The cottage was built (1838 to 1840) by Peter Fagan, using convict labour, from sandstone quarried nearby. It was originally the 'Red Cow Inn' and subsequently became known as 'Cooranbean'. A slab wash house and two seater pit 'dunny' (toilet) complete the cottage setting.
The spacious Historical Museum now displays a wide variety of items and memorabilia from the past, as well as ongoing current exhibitions. A slab shed contains tools and farm machinery as well as an informative display on the citrus fruit industry, a mainstay of the local area for many years.
Barbecue and picnic facilities are also available.Visit Website
BBQ Facilities, Car park, Picnic Area, Public Toilet, Shaded Area, Sheltered Area
Educational Tourism, Historic/Heritage