Standing in 260 acres of parkland overlooking historic Parramatta, Old Government House is Australia''s oldest public building. For seven decades, it was the ''country'' residence of 12 early governors of the colony, including Governor and Mrs Macquarie who, preferred the clean air and space of rural Parramatta to the unsanitary and crime ridden streets of Sydney Town.
The central block of the house was built in 1799 by Governor John Hunter, however the house today owes most to Governor and Mrs Macquarie. Their 1815 extensions, designed by Macquarie''s Aide, Lieutenant John Watts transformed the house into an elegant Palladian style residence in the English manner.
Visitors to the property today can step straight into the fashions of 1821, with their Anglo and Indian influences and strong emphasis on colour.
This site is one of the 11 Australian Convict Sites listed as World Heritage.Visit Website
Cafe, Car park, Picnic Area, Public Telephone, Public Toilet, Shop
Cultural, Educational Tourism, Historic/Heritage, Nature based, The Arts