The construction of the Stuart Town Gaol and associated police station, located in Alice Springs, was commenced in 1907 utilising the expertise of local builders with stone and timber obtained from the district. Inadequate facilities, jeopardised by periodic flooding of the Todd River, at the former site adjacent to the southern side of Heavitree Gap, prompted the move, which was officially completed in 1909.
Following its closure in 1938, the building was used by the police for storage purposes and, although in 1973 it was earmarked for demolition or removal to make way for a new Supreme Court building, it was eventually incorporated in the precinct design and appropriately restored. As the first government building within the town, it aptly demonstrates the principal characteristics of early prison design and construction in remote areas. Harsh, but basically functional, it reflects community attitudes towards imprisonment at the turn of the century.Visit Website