The open pastoral land around Coutts Crossing is home to cattle, geese, turkeys and peacocks escapees from earlier farming projects which now roam freely. The little village of Coutts Crossing was named after Thomas Coutts who acquired Kangaroo Creek Station in 1840.
Coutts Crossing is a small village located halfway between Grafton and Nymboida along the Armidale to Grafton Road.
The BP service station and local hotel are a good place to pick up a tasty meal or snack for those travelling along the Armidale to Grafton Road.
There are tennis and squash courts available for hire and a historical museum to visit (please check open times). A nine-hole golf course is located at the northern entrance.
There are two excellent swimming holes, one on the Orara River at MacPherson’s Crossing (north of Coutts) and the rapids which is located on crown land area near Skinners Swamp (south of Coutts).
Coutts Crossing Australia