The Haden district was first settled one-hundred and twenty-five years ago. As the early pioneers opened their selections, the need for schools, churches, halls and railway was soon apparent.
Haden township was a thriving centre in the early 1900”s, with two pubs, three grocer shops, butcher shop, Queensland National Bank – and a racecourse. Haden State School was officially opened on May 20, 1912, and first known as Wahoon State School.
The brush turkey, known to local Aboriginal people as wahoon, was prevalent in the area in Haden”s early days and in 2002 a monument was erected there.