Kingscote is Kangaroo Island”s largest town, sitting on the north coast. It has a view across Nepean Bay to the mainland in the distance.
A feature of the town is the tidal rock-surrounded swimming pool on the foreshore. Delightful Little Penguins have established themselves in the sandstone and clay cliffs in front of the town. Guided by Kangaroo Island Marine Centre, tours are conducted after dusk to see the penguins returning from their day”s fishing. Watch the hungry pelicans at 5pm every night – they have the biggest beak of any bird in the world!
Situated on the shores of the beautiful Nepean Bay, with a panoramic view of the boat-studded harbour, Kingscote is the commercial and business hub of the island. To the north, there are steep cliffs that descend steeply to Reeves Point (old Kingscote), one of the most important heritage sites in South Australia.
The jetty nearly always yields a feed of fish for the keen and patient angler. Kingscote has a large commercial fishing fleet and associated depots. There is a long and much used fishing jetty and a slipway.
Established in 1836, Kingscote was the first settlement in South Australia. Close by is Reeves Point, the landing site of the South Australia Company settlers, as well as the first Post Office in South Australia, the first tree planted by Europeans the Old Mulberry Tree, the Pioneer Cemetery and Hope Cottage Museum.