Clarence Town

  • The area which became known as Clarence Town was first settled by white settlers following the visit of Lieutenant Colonel Paterson who travelled up the river now known as the Williams' River in 1801. The area was originally known as 'Erringhi' ('place of wild duck' in the local dialect) but the name was changed to Clarence Town in 1832 after the Duke of Clarence, who in 1883 became King William the fourth. The ship building industry began to grow, as timber in the area was plentiful. Many ocean going vessels were loaded with timber for destinations in many parts of

Clarence Town Australia

Get Featured on About Australia