Walbundrie began as a thriving gold rush town of several thousand people. On 15 June 1855, the Bulgandra gold field was proclaimed with miners living in tents and shacks. The Bulgandra goldfields quietly declined, along with the expectations of the gold miners. Today the township of Walbundrie is home to a Hotel, the Rural Co-op and a primary school, as well as playing host to the annual Walbundrie Agricultural Show. The Agricultural show is one of the largest in the Riverina and has been running since 1911.