Newcastle Waters

  • Newcastle Waters township (no longer inhabited) is located 269 kilometres north of Tennant Creek just off the Explorers Way. It is part of the vast, historic Newcastle Waters Station in the Barkly Tablelands. The explorer John McDouall Stuart reached the area in 1861 and was excited to find large body of water in Lake Woods nearby and named it after the Duke of Newcastle, the then Secretary for the Colonies. Stuart established a base camp near the present site of the station. With the development of the pastoral industry, a small township sprang up and thrived as a supply point

  • Jones Store
    Jones Store

    Visit Jones' Store - one of the oldest structures in historic Newcastle Waters. As well

Newcastle Waters Australia

Get Featured on About Australia