The original settlement of Arno Vale was settled by John Hallett in 1840, on the fringe of where the current settlement lies. It was later named for the flocks of cockatoos that congregated in the ancient old gums surrounding the town. Its convenient rural location – only 8km from Gawler – has seen recent land subdivisions for people seeking a country lifestyle. The Barossa Goldfields, Sandy Creek and Para Wirra Conservation Parks are a short drive away. The local general store can provide fuel and provisions seven days a week.